Sunday, April 14, 2013

Day 23 Springsure to Emerald 69.3 kms

Well the time has come around again and I had committed to be out on the road with the rest of them this morning. The fuss was made again when I emerged with the riding gear on and a few of them offered to ride with me. I actually wanted to ride on my own today so I declined all kind offers and headed off at 7 am on my own. I appreciated the offers but I get embarrassed at the pace at which I ride and I don't like to hold them up.

It was a momentous day for Robbo today; it is the completion of his ride around Australia. He first started with us in 2004 doing Perth to Melbourne, then he did Darwin to Adelaide in 2006, he rode with another rider & went from Perth to Katherine in 2007, then in 2008 he joined us again on our Rockhampton to Katherine and then in 2011 he did Broome to Perth with Cycle Across Oz again. This ride he is travelling from Melbourne to Cloncurry. This morning he was up VERY early and rode on his own leaving camp at 4.56 am. He was wanting to ride the 70 kms and make it to Emerald for 8 am Mass. He was saying thanks for his safe riding and praying for our safe trip. He also caught up with some relatives that live in Emerald.
Quite a few riders still left earlier than myself even though it was another very short day. This will give them 1.5 rest days. There were more hills than I was told I would have to climb but all the riders just laughed and said there weren't any hills, just inclines. Phewy! Anna agreed with me that they were decent hills. I rode up every one of them without getting off. Quite pleased with myself except Jerry flew past congratulating me on the 12 kms I had ridden when I was convinced I had ridden at least 27 kms at that stage. Once again he was pulling my leg as he knew I didn't have an odometer so I shouldn't have had any idea of the distance.
Collis caught up with me at the 32 km mark and nearly convinced me to get off but then we thought I should make it to morning tea which just happened to be at the top of the steepest hill for the day. My R) knee was starting to give me a bit of trouble but I was still feeling quite good. 

Collis was not well when I got to morning tea so I had to come off anyway so as to take over the driving. It took him about an hour to come good and by then we were well into camp.
Lazy afternoon with the usual shopping, catching up on the washing and just sitting around chatting. There is alot of boiling of eggs on this trip.  

A large kangaroo jumped out of nowhere and landed right in the middle of the road today and stood there looking at me. I madly tried to get my camera out when I looked up and saw a land rover bearing down on the poor Kanga. So I then started ringing my bell and shooed him off the road without a photo. I missed a photo opportunity but saved a kangaroo,

No comments:

Post a Comment